Scripture Reading: Hebrews 2:5-18
Sermon Text: Hebrews 10:19-25
Sermon Title: "Discipleship, Theology, and Why You Can't Have One without the Other"
Three discipleship responses to Jesus' better offering and priesthood.
Introduction: To sum up, Jesus is your sufficient offering and great high priest (19-21).
- Jesus' blood offering is the basis of our confidence (19-20).
- We have confidence to enter into God's presence because it is guaranteed by Jesus' blood (19).
- We have confidence to enter into God's presence because of the New Covenant (20).
- Jesus' priesthood means that He represents us to God (21).
- Therefore, respond by drawing near to God in faith (22).
- Draw near with a sincere heart that operates in the realm of certain faith (22a).
- Draw near with the benefits of certain faith (22bc).
- A cleansed conscience (22b)
- A purified body (22c)
- Therefore, respond by clinging to the confession of your hope (23).
- Cling to the confession of your hope with an unwavering stability (23a).
- Cling to the confession of your hope because of the faithfulness of the one who promised (23b).
- Therefore, respond by thoughtfully edifying one another (24-25).
- Think carefully about how to provoke one another to love and good deeds (24).
- Think carefully about how to encourage one another in the assembly (25).
- This consideration can't happen when you're not present in the assembly (25a).
- This consideration involves encouragement in light of the coming "day" (25b).